Selected Publications by Paul Plsek
Paul is the author or co-author of dozens of peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters, along with eight books. His publication record spans a 25-year career of innovation, collaboration and helping others to see things in new ways. A selected bibliography on improvement, innovation, leadership and change in complex systems is provided below.
- Plsek PE, Onnias A, Early JF. Quality Improvement Tools. Wilton, CT: Juran Institute, Inc., 1989.
- Plsek PE. A primer on quality improvement tools. In Berwick DM, Godfrey AB, Roessner J. Curing Health Care. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1990.
- Plsek PE. Techniques for the management of quality. Hospital and Health Services Administration 1995 40(1):50-79.
- Plsek PE. Collaborating across organizational boundaries to improve the quality of care. American Journal of Infection Control 1997 25:85-95.
- Plsek PE. Creativity, Innovation and Quality, ASQ Quality Press, 1997.
- Plsek PE. Directed creativity and the management of quality in healthcare. In C Caldwell (ed) Handbook for Managing Change in Healthcare. ASQ Quality Press, 1997.
- Zimmerman B, Lindberg C, Plsek PE. Edgeware: Insights from Complexity Science for Health Care Leaders. Dallas, TX: VHA Publishing. 1998.
- Plsek PE. Incorporating the tools of creativity into quality management. Quality Progress. March, 1998. (Reprinted in IEEE Engineering Management Review 26:3, Fall 1998 and in Cortada JW and Woods JA (ed.) The Knowledge Management Yearbook 1999-2000, Boston: Butterworth-Heinemann, 1999. Translated in Spanish, Portuguese, and Danish.)
- Plsek PE. Innovative thinking for the improvement of medical systems. Annals of Internal Medicine, 131:6, 438-444, 1999.
- Plsek PE, Kilo CM. Influencing physicians: from resistance to attraction: a different approach to change. Physician Executive. 25(6):40-46, 1999.
- Plsek PE. Spreading Good Ideas for Better Health Care: A Practical Toolkit. Volume 2 in VHA 2000 Research Series. VHA, 2000.
- Foote C and Plsek PE. The NHS Plan: thinking out of the box. Health Service Journal (UK), 111:5750 (12 April 2001) 32-33.
- Plsek PE. Redesigning health care with insights from the science of complex adaptive systems. In: IOM Committee on Quality of Health Care in America. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Washington: National Academy Press, 2001.
- Plsek PE and Greenhalgh T. The challenge of complexity in health care. British Medical Journal, 2001; 323:625-8.
- Plsek PE and Wilson T. Complexity, leadership and management in health care organisations. British Medical Journal, 2001; 323:746-9.
- Øvretveit J, Bate P, Cleary P, Cretin S, Gustafson D, McInnes K, McLeod H, Molfenter T, Plsek P, Robert G, Shortell S, Wilson T. Quality collaboratives: lessons from research. Quality & Safety in Health Care. 2002; 11:345-351.
- Plsek PE. Complexity and the adoption of innovation in health care. In Proceedings of Accelerating Quality Improvement in Health Care: Strategies to Speed the Diffusion of Evidence-Based Innovations. National Institute for Health Care Management Foundation. Washington DC. January 27-28, 2003.
- Palmer RH, Clanton M, Ezhuthachan S, Newman C, Maisels J, Plsek P, and Salem-Schatz S. Applying the “10 simple rules” of the Institute of Medicine to management of hyperbilirubinemia in newborns. Pediatrics (December 2003) 112(6):1388-1273.
- Plsek PE, Solberg L, and Grol R. Total quality management (TQM) and continuous quality improvement (CQI) in primary care. In Jones R et. al. (eds) The Oxford Textbook of Primary Care: Volume 1 Principles and Concepts. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Horbar JD, Carpenter JH, Buzas J, Soll RF, Suresh G, Bracken MB, Leviton LC, Plsek PE, Sinclair JC. Collaborative quality improvement to promote evidence based surfactant for preterm infants: a cluster randomised trial. British Medical Journal 2004; 329;1004.
- Plsek PE. Harness Creativity to Stimulate Creative Thinking. In Bisognano M, Plsek P, and Schummers D. 10 More Powerful Ideas for Improving Patient Care. Chicago: Health Administration Press, 2005.
- Gustafson D, Palesh T, Plsek P, Maher L, Picard R, Capoccia V. Automating Addiction Treatment: Enhancing the human experience and creating a fix for the future. In Bushko RG (ed.). Future of Intelligent and Extelligent Health Environment, Amsterdam:IOS Press, 2005. (Results from a research grant from The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.)
- Bergman D, Plsek P, Saunders M. A high-performing system for well-child care: a vision for the future. The Commowealth Fund, Publication number 949. 2006. (Results from a research grant from The Commonwealth Fund.)
- Plsek PE, Bibby J, and Whitby E. Practical methods for extracting explicit design rules grounded in the experience of organizational managers. Journal of Applied Behavioral Sciences. 2007; 43:153-170.
- Hannaway C, Plsek PE and Hunter DJ. Developing leadership and management for health. In Hunter DJ (ed.) Managing for Health. London: Routledge, 2007.
- Plsek PE. Brainstorming. In Ruggeri F, Kennett RS, Faltin FW (eds) Encyclopedia of Statistics in Quality and Reliability. John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
- Bevan H, Ham C, Plsek P. The next leg of the journey: How do we make High Quality Care for All a reality? NHS Institute Working Papers, 2008.
- Maher LM, Plsek PE, Garrett S, Bevan H. Thinking Differently. London: NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement, 2008.
- Roger H, Maher L, and Plsek PE. New design rules for driving innovation in access to secondary care in the NHS. British Medical Journal, 2008, 338:384-387.
- Maher LM, Plsek PE. Making a Bigger Difference: A Guide for Assessing and Stimulating Service Innovation. London: NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement, 2009.
- Plsek PE. An introduction to the theory and practice of large-scale change. NHS Institute Working Papers, 2009.
- Maher LM, Plsek PE, Bevan H. Creating the Culture for Innovation: A Guide for Executives. London: NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement, 2010.
- Lin M, Hughes B, Katica M, Dining-Zuber C, Plsek PE. Service design and change of systems: Human-centered approaches to implementing and spreading service design. International Journal of Design, 2011 5(2), 73-86.
- Winstanley L, Bevan H, Plsek PE. Leading Large-Scale Change: The Experience of the NHS Academy for Large-Scale Change. London: NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement, 2012.
- Russ LR, Phillips J, Brzozowicz K, Chafetz LA, Plsek PE, Blackmore CC, Kaplan GS. (2013) Experience-based design for integrating the patient care experience into healthcare improvement: Identifying a set of reliable emotion words. HealthCare Journal of Delivery Science and Innovation, 2013 1(3):91-99. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hjdsi.2013.07.004i
- Plsek PE. Accelerating Health Care Transformation with Lean and Innovation: The Virginia Mason Experience. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. 2013